gic and ready for sleep and I would be tossing and turning trying to get there as well. So, whenever finals came up or something that was really important the next day, BA would hand me the special little blue pill to help me easily doze off.Now, I know that on the commercials they say it isn't habit forming...but they lied. And if Costco didn't want us to take them so much they wouldn't sell 500 for $5.99. I really don't take one everynight, but when I don't (like last night) I can't fall asleep for hours and then I also
wake up at 4 am and can't go back to sleep. I would like to blame the coming move and the stress that our house may not be sold afterall - but I just want my happy sleepytime back.I think I am feeling so guilty about this because I usually avoid all drugs (obviously, I always avoid illegal drugs, in this case I am talking about legal OTC & Rx drugs) at all costs. I suffer through cramps and headaches for hours before I even consider pain relievers. When I have a cold, I think chicken noodle soup is medicine, the flu - 7-up and soda crackers. I don't know why I do this - it isn't like I am hippie anti-drug girl, I just don't think about taking anything. And when it comes up I think, oh I am fine and will take something as a last resort. I do not hold this same opinion when it comes to having babies or post baby recovery. I say bring on the drugs in that case. So, here I am airing out my dirty laundry in the hopes that someone will say I am not that horrible afterall or have some great suggestion to get over the anxiety prone sleep.
12 comments:
I have trouble falling asleep also but most of the time Tylenol PM doesn't work for me. That stinks! I have one suggestion and I don't even take my own advice but you could do a little exercise if you're not already and that could help relax you. If my husband could hear me now! See if that helps!
I say if the blue pill helps than you keep it up girl! You guys are going through a stressful time so just hang in there and get all the sleep you can. That just makes for a happier, well-balanced you come morning.
Hey, what happened with your house? Steve has the same sleeping problems, and it's so hard to sleep when you have so much going on in your life. I'm the same way when it comes to drugs exactly: great for labor, but all other times I just don't like taking them. I REALLY hope you can get some good sleep; you deserve it!
I take tylenol pm on a daily basis now (once in a while I will go without) I need the sleep, I have major health problems right now and if I don't sleep I do not do well during the day.
I think of it as not such a bad drug, it's just tylenol!!!! if it helps go for it, you have to take care of yourself, if you don't get good sleep you won't function up to your optimum self.
You have to get your sleep, so I say its okay. There is a great natural alternative called "calms" you can get them at any health food store. They really help. The funny part is they are blue too.
Alison,
I really appreciate the comment you left me. And thankyou for the link to your friend's post, it was beautiful.
I too have trouble sleeping, and I also hate taking any over the counter drugs, I usually will suffer through a soar throat, a migrain or even sleepless nights for hours before my husband pokes and prods me to take something (for HIS sanity). I take those little blue pills alot and I say it is worth it for a nice rested night, more power to you.
I quit drinking diet coke. And that helped me.
I love the hard core sleep aids,Ambien CR is a miracle drug, I can't wait till Berk sleeps through the night so I can take it again and fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer... Gee, between this comment and the last one I sound a little drug dependent...hmmm, I am okay with that! ;)
In the words of Prince Humperdink, "If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything."
Take the pills. At least until you're done with the move.
my dad-in-law was taking something herbal that worked like MAGIC... I'll have to ask him what it was. Oh-- It's Melatonin. He was in town from Korea and it kept his jet lag to a minimum.
Just an alternative if you want to alternate or keep trying different things.
Dan takes Ambien. I like it because he gets all chatty and a bit goofy before he konks out. I am all for it because his day is so much better once he has a good night's sleep. Besides, I am a drug rep's wife. I whole-heartedly support the pharmaceutical industry.
I had no idea so many people take sleep aids. i guess as a massage therapist my first instinct is to tell you to take a hot bath, spray lavender on your pillow, meditate or get regular massages :) I also tell my clients that sleeplessness can be worse for people who don't get enough exercise during the day (and running after toddlers doesn't count :P). Even some simple stretching or yoga could make all the difference.
Post a Comment