Friday, February 29, 2008

Keeping it Real

As was noted in the past post, I have not been feeling too well. The thing is, pregnancy hasn't been so bad, it is this virus that has been killing me for almost 2 weeks that I am am mostly crying about. I think that being pregnant just makes being sick a lot more inconvenient. Plus, I am a pretty healthy person and not used to being sick so I am a big baby right now.

But here is a little taste (as embarrassing as this is) of my life right now. I finally had a doctors appt yesterday - one already scheduled but after suffering for so long with over the counter drugs that weren't touching my pain I was anxious to talk to the doctor and hopefully get some relief. When I say anxious, I should say that I cried so hard at the doctor's office that she was sure something other than my feeling sick had to be wrong. She asked if "everything at home was ok, is there any abuse?" No, I just really feel like crap and I am sick of it. So she gave me some antibiotics (for the sinus infection), some serious nasal spray (so I can hopefully breath through my nose again) and some narcotic pain meds (since I am practically ODing on Tylenol and it still isn't working).

I didn't get home from the Dr. until about 5 and Brian had made plans that night to eat dinner at some friends house. This is an old friend of Brian's that lives here in Vegas and we have been meaning to get together with pretty much since we moved here. Since she is having a baby in the next month they thought they better have us over before life gets even crazier. My want to play and socialize always overpowers my feelings of sickness so I said we should still go. On the way, we pick up my Rx's and I take them in the car as we drive to their house. I have never taken these meds before and didn't know how they would affect me. Both the antibiotic and the pain meds warned of feelings of nausea and to eat with something. So, I ate a few crackers and thought I was good.

We get there and by the time we sit down to eat dinner, I am feeling the drugs kick in. I start cold sweating and can't bring myself to eat anything. Finally, I take a bite and then shove Brian out of my way to run to the bathroom. That wasn't a pleasant bathroom trip, but I came back and thought I would be better. I tried to eat some more (how rude am I to not eat the nice dinner prepared for me). Emery is having fun playing with their 2 year old little boy and the adults are chatting at the table. I ask for a coke to help settle my stomach. Emery gets on my lap thinking she might have some of the soda (nope). We are sitting there then suddenly, I get up, shove Emery off me where she lands banging her head on the table and I run to the bathroom. I barely make it and I am throwing up like crazy. That is not nearly as embarrassing as the fact that somehow the muscles used to throw up over power all other muscles in my body (I never throw up so this is a very rare occurrence for me) and I totally peed my pants like a 4 year old. I get up and called after Brian who was trying to sooth our child that I knocked down. He asks what he can do and I tell him, I need to borrow some pants. If I wasn't feeling so crappy I would have been much more mortified. Instead, I went to get the pants from our friends myself and just pretended that it was normal to pee your pants. Everyone was very nice and the kids were having fun so we still stayed there for another hour.

So, that is it. My new most embarrassing story to add to my list of stories. I came home and continued the charade but finally got some sleep. Unfortunately, sleep came right when we started LOST - so I am sorry I don't have any insight but I am very confused as I tried to watch part of it... and what the, Desmond was time traveling? Lets all hope that I get better soon and can stop with my complaints.

26 comments:

{lizzythebotanist} said...

sheesh, adi. i'm so sorry i got you sick...at least you got some meds, right? but i have to admit that's a pretty funny story. at least elk and his wife know the ins and outs of pregnancy so i'm sure it was no biggie. and after our dinner convo at nora's i'm pretty sure nothing could surprise them!

Emily said...

It's probably a good thing you didn't come to enrichment.

C Crane said...

Oh, I am so sorry. But looking at the bright side everyone needs a good pee your pants story and that one is pretty good! Let me know if I can do anything.

Tara said...

Ali you poor girl! That sucks big time. As if pregnancy wasn't enough already! Sheesh!

I have to admit I did laugh a bit at your story because it is kind of hilarious, but I really hope you feel better soon!

Love ya!

Lizzy said...

Oh my gosh! You handled that way better than I would have. I would have run home crying. You handled it very mature.

kim said...

Remember when you had those people for dinner and they talked so much, you and Brian could hardly get a word in edgewise? Or when what's her name offered to bring dessert and then asked you for all the ingredients once she was at your house? Now think what a good story these people have to share!!! I'm kidding. You had so many forces working against you there was no way you could control them. Pregnancy is hell on the bladder. I still pee my pants when puking. (I will admit I am always at home:), but that's a given) You did handle that well. I am very impressed.

Laurel said...

Um, I can't believe you're even still functioning after a night like that. I think I'd be wallowing in my own self-pity for at least the next week. :) I'm glad you seem to be feeling "better"!

Caryn said...

Oh Al! I am so sorry you are so sick! Want me to fed ex you some soup? I promise promise that I have been there with the out both ends thing. I swear once you have a kid your bladder is shot. Luckily there is a surgery to put it back in place and I plan on having it done as soon as I am done with kids!!!

Jenn said...

Wow, I am so sorry. I knew that you weren't feeling good, but I had no idea. I hope things get better soon. Let me know if I can help. And peeing your pants isn't so bad, I bet when it comes down to it many pregnant women can admit to the same thing!

lisset said...

another pee your pants story for the ages...
its the profusive throwing up I am most sorry about. Puking is the worst.
Hope you get to feeling better soon!!!

Kara said...

I'm so sorry. Sounds miserable. I hope that something gets better for you soon! Just the thought of throwing up makes me sick- I hope you can try the medicine again and not get sick.

Ami Bethea said...

Ah man, that sounds awful! I'm so sorry. It is so crappy to get sick when you are pregnant, so unfair. I agree with everyone else - I would have immediately run home crying, you handled it great. Hope you get better quickly!

Christi said...

I am so sorry. That totally sucks! I hope the med's take better affects soon, and you get to feeling better. You know where we are if you need anything!

bulkleybunch said...

laughing my head off right now totally at your expense. that is a nightmare. sooo sorry and sooo happy it's not me. throwing up is the worst and peeing is the funniest.:)

Aimeeable said...

You stayed an hour after you threw up and wet your pants? I did that once when we were visiting Tygh's Aunt and Uncle and I just bawled. You're tough -Man just think what else you're capable of!

melbo said...

Oh, poor Ali!! I'm so sorry you had to endure that but you handled it like a pro! Good for you, I probably would've gone home right then and there. There is a website you should check out, its all about this guys theory on time travel being an integral part of the Lost plot. I know, its super nerdish, but my psycho-obsessed mom sent it to me. http://www.timelooptheory.com/the_timeline.htm

melbo said...

Ugh. I got cut off. Here.

Melanie said...

That is such a funny/horrifying story! I'm so sorry! I don't think I could have pretended peeing my pants was normal. But pregnancy is its own separate beast, so you never know? I hope the meds kick in (in the proper way) soon!

The Farnsworth Family said...

Okay although I am laughing hard I feel so sad for you too. I am SO sorry you are feeling so sick, and I hope your friends invite you over again after the baby :) he he! You are such a trooper. Get some rest and feel better!

Chante said...

I am so sorry! I am sure everyone there understood and tried not to make you feel as embarrassed. Seriously, though, how embarrassing to have to ask to borrow pants! I would have said that we just needed to go home. I think you handled it much better and braved your embarrassment. By the way, how funny that the doc asked if things were okay at home......they probably didn't know how to handle a crying pregnant woman and gave you all the drugs in the world! Get better! Can't wait to see you guys!

Marc said...

Love it. Brian's going to be telling that story for years to come.

Ilene said...

Ah, another thing to hold over this baby's head when it acts up as a teenager.

There is no dignity in motherhood. I don't care what anyone else says.

Birchall Family said...

I am so sad for you and laughing at the same time! I pee my pants EVERY time I throw up! Michael thinks I am a 2 year old when I do this, but I can't hepl it! It is the worst! So sorry this happend to you...glad they gave you some new pants. I hope you feel better soon, I had the same thing, it lasted like a month. I can't even imagine having it and being prego...so sorry!

The Scotts said...

I am laughing so hard!! Memories but luckily mine were in my own house! That is awful. I used to sometime pee my pants when I threw up prego. I am so sorry that you did it at friends and I am laughing that you threw Emery down, well that is sad but still funny. You will always be the peed your pants, drop your kid and barf girl to those friends. What nice memories. I love you!! You can do all that at my house anytime.

WE LOVED LOST!! One of the best episodes we thought.

Rachie said...

I used to pee my pants/throw up all the time when i was pregnant with the twins.

It is normal to me...

Alicia said...

Oh honey! I am so sorry that I am laughing about this, but it's too good and totally something I would do. Yuck. I hate being sick!
We'll have to talk about Lost soon. It was a good one.