I have a black thumb. I don't know much about gardening or various flowers and trees and I always forget to water things. Yet, here in Oregon things seem to grow despite my poor efforts. When we moved here I really wanted to learn how to garden. I listened intently to all the advice from my neighbors and sisters in RS. I skimmed through the beautiful gardening books at the bookstores, and checked them out at the library. On every walk we went on, I would look at people's yards and disect what I liked and didn't like about the landscape. However, I never really invested the money, time, and energy needed to grow a beautiful garden. Now that we are moving from a place that anything you plant grows, to the desert where if you want anything to survive you will have to nurture it ever so lovingly- I am sad that I didn't take full advantage to learn to garden.

One of the only things that I planted at our little house in Eugene is a hydrangea. I love hydrangeas so I was so excited to have a bush of my own. I am so happy that I got the chance to see if bloom before we leave. I will also miss seeing our little azaleas grow big and be covered in bright pink flowers each spring.
So, I guess I am here stating my regret for neglecting to learn and appreciate the art of gardening before I leave the land where things grow so that I will feel more inspired to learn how to garden...someday. Maybe when I have to work harder for my plants I will appreciate them more.

Oh, and here are a few pics of Emery on Sunday enjoying the flowers.
15 comments:
Oh, Alison. I did the same thing too when we got our house. I had numerous library books and then well, I got overwhelmed. Like you too, I did make sure I got a hydrangea bush though. Plus it is expensive. Part of the reason I like our new house is because it is nicely landscaped in the front- no work for me except to water!
Emery looks so cute in that dress and kerchief, by the way!
weird..i can't see any pictures...
oh, now i saw them....weird. anyway-she looks like a little hippie! cute.
I love her little bandana! I love doing landscape things. I hate living in AZ because it either dies in the summer or everything we planted last fall froze in the spring. AAAHHHH!!!!! But it is still fun to do.
Love the pics. Emers and the flowers are beautiful! I love gardening. I purposely don't ever plant annuals so I can pick each season what to plant. I LOVE hydrangea and wish I could get it to grow. I am impressed that you did. You will have to share your secret.
I am sorry Steph, but my secret is to put it in the ground and occasionally water it. I know, it is just wrong but that is the way it is here in OR. It is funny because I thought I totally killed it because over the winter it just like sticks coming out of the mud.
I thought your yard was looking so good! I didn't get to see the hydrangeas, but they look great! I don't know how to garden either. I planted a couple of things yesterday with my mother in law and I am quite positive they are going to die. Cute pictures of EMERY!!
So stinkin cute!
Don't worry I can't keep a plant alive to save my life. I try to water the buggers but I can't ever seem to keep them living. Hopefully plant care will not reflect how I will be as a mother or else I am in big trouble!
what a perfect litle outfit!!!
I am currently keeping about 10 houseplants alive in my apartment. Looking forward to a yard, not that I have managed not to totally kill the little plants i do have. :)
And i think it is funny that you are a dirty pirate. You always seemed so clean to me, too!!!
Your little Em is so dang cute in her getup. I can't believe how great of pictures you get of her. I am super jealous. Your flowers are amazing too. Maybe when you and I grow up we can live together in a land where things grow and we can be in a gardening club together.
Sounds good. I'm in. Except for the growing up part.
black thumb I don't think so! Your flowers are beautiful. I want flowers like that! I have to find flowers that can withstand this heat, and that does not leave many. I miss lush green enviornments!
I am the worst thing that ever happened to flowers. I always try so hard and they never work out. When we moved from AZ to UT, my friend gave me some seeds and said, "Even you can't kill these plants in Utah" Well, we'll see....
First off, Emery is so dang cute! She looks like one of the kids from the Von Trap family in the Sound of music with that little thing on her head. Love it!
Second, I can't even make something grow here in the land where things grow. Your yard is the garden of Eden compaired to my one withering plant of pansies I was forced to take on Mother's day at church (I'm not even a mother)!
Once, when my mom came to visit when we lived in Vermont, she commented that gardening there was like Heaven, and gardening in Utah is like Hell. This coming from someone with an extraordinary green thumb, even in dry Utah. I think New England must be the same as Oregon. I love not having to water my lawn!
Post a Comment