Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Love it or HATE it...no in between

My friend, Mandee, recently got back from a family vacation in Las Vegas. I believe she will be blogging more about the trip today, but she gave us a glimpse yesterday and mentioned that she HATES Las Vegas. This got me thinking of the reaction people have given Brian and I when we tell them we are moving to Las Vegas. People either Love it or they HATE it, there is not much in between.

I think this is somewhat amusing. There are those of you out there that are polite and act like you like Las Vegas, because I am already moving there so you don't want to be rude. But deep down you are thinking, "Yuck I would hate to live there." There are those that aren't afraid to say that they think Las Vegas is a horrible place. The funny thing about here in OR everyone wants to warn me about the heat and how miserable it will be, until I mention that I grew up in Phoenix. Then there are those of you who know people there or have lived there and love it there. I take the most comfort in that because most people who have lived there, love it there. That is a good sign I think.

While I am well aware of many many faults that Sin City holds - it is too late we are already moving there, Friday. So, I like to focus on why I am excited to live in Las Vegas.
  • I am excited to be closer to family, but not too close (we have learned to enjoy having some distance from the day to day family drama)
  • I love that it is the halfway mark between Orem and Mesa, so people may want to stop and visit us on their way to/from those two places.
  • It feels like home to me...like Mesa.
  • We have fun friends that already live there.
  • Lots of fun things to do there, great places to eat, and people will actually want to visit us.
Ok, there are a lot of reasons, and I could go on. I guess it is a good thing that I am one of those on the Love it side or I would be in for a pretty miserable existence. So, tell me what you really think. I'd like to know if you are going to visit me or not.

15 comments:

Tara said...

Well I can't really tell you why I love it or hate it because what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas. Silly girl!

kidding - I think it is a great opportunity to move there and I honestly think we will probably be joining you in about a year. So go ahead and get Bunko started, but save a spot for me! :)

The Thompson's said...

I think it's funny when people say they would never want to live there! I think MOST people think of Vegas as "the strip" when really there is so much more than that! We have really good friends who live in Summerlin which is still in vegas and it's VERY nice! We have visited them many times and said we could definately live there. They are 30 min. from the strip and it doesn't even feel like you are "in" Vegas when you're there. They have tons of great restaurants and shopping so close. I agree with you.....it reminds me a lot of mesa. So I will say I REALLY do like it and don't think you should be worried. I think there are some really great wards there as well. You just have to limit yourself to the casino exposure. Which for my husband is his favorite place to be! (when we are there).

Nate and Lauren said...

I have lots of friends that live in Vegas and love it!! I remeber going there on a super activity and had lot of fun... the church is actually pretty strong there too... I sure you will be happy with your move!

The Thompson's said...

Oh BTW....I was reading a parents magazine the other night and came across a little article about sleeping aids.....they suggested drinking a cup of peppermint tea before bedtime. They claim it calms the stomach,eases the mind, and relaxes the body. And it's caffeine free. $3.30/16 bags at organicteas.com So you could give this a try instead of the pills. Who knows, it might work!

King Family said...

We almost moved to Vegas. My husband had a job offer there and we almost took it. I have to admit I wasn't super stoked about living there BUT I will echo what you said that EVERYONE I have ever known that has lived there LOVED IT. Not just liked it but LOVED IT, so that really is the best indication.

Emily said...

I will definitely come and visit you...I just hope it takes about 5 minutes instead of 10 hours!

Brianne said...

I'm really going to miss you, even though we're not that close, I really like being around you. You are such an amazing person, Vegas is lucky to be getting you. As for the town of Las Vegas, I like it, and I've never lived there. The heat is different there than a lot of places because it's a dry heat, and the temple being so close is a definite bonus. Plus, there is TONS to do in Vegas besides cruisin' the strip. And it really is a beautiful place, depending on what you like. I'll miss you girl...good luck!

Caryn said...

I love 'the Vegas' I think you guy will be happy there!

Beeta said...

Hey Addy! I finally got a blogspot! Well, actually JP and I did, because maybe between the two of us we'll keep up on it. I'm excited you're moving to Vegas so we can see you more. Good luck with the big move!!

The Farnsworth Family said...

Ali, I know tons of peeps hat live there or have lived there and LOVE it. My sister lived there for 7 years in Henderson and LOVED it! There is good and bad about every place... you are right. It is all about what you make of it! I know you will love it!

Mandee said...

Ali, I am sorry I was so rude about Vegas, but I made up for it with my next post, right? It is a great place off the strip. And I don't know why the heat bothers me... I grew up in Bakersfield- the armpit of California. I will visit you there! We can meet up at the all you can eat buffet! And then do a little shopping! Love you-

Emily S. said...

I've been wondering when you'll be there. Joe and I will be in Vegas during the week of the 15-18th of July. Wanna go to lunch? You can bring the kid. She doesn't scare me.

:) Kidding. Let me know!

Birchall Family said...

My best friend Melissa has a sister that lives in Vegas and she LOVES it. She wants to be there forever..so i hear it is really fun to live there. Also one of my friend from Utah was from Vegas and also LOVED it. So I think you will have such a balst..never a dull weekend again!

Ilene said...

My husband lived there for a couple of months after his mission and LOVED it. I guess there are a lot of cute single LDS girls there. Of course not as cute as the one he later found in Oregon. I hope that recommendation from Dan helps.

Me, my experiences in Las Vegas have pretty much been limited to the In-N-Out and a certain 76 gas station. Las Vegas was always a stop on our pilgrimage to and from Utah (I grew up in So Cal). I loved the In-N-Out and the gas station always had a clean bathroom. thumbs up for me.

Chelsea said...

I think Vegas is A okay. I like that the temple is close, it is a good distance from Orem but also relatively close, the housing market is reasonable, I love the residential areas of Vegas. BUT, I do not love the strip, and I do not love the ching ching of slot machines in every grocery store and gas station (I grew up in RENO), and it don't think it is the most pretty of terrain. So my Vegas feelings are pretty much neutral right now. I don't love it or hate it. However, it wouldn't suprise me if we also join you out there next year. So, I guess my neutral feeling of Vegas should switch to LOVE it feelings.